Diet and weight loss plays a crucial role in preparing women’s bodies for pregnancy and boosting sperm count for men. While there are many reasons for low fertility levels, diet is the easiest to modify. According to a study published by Harvard Medical School, the best fertility foods are whole grains, healthy fats, protein packages, and even the occasional bowl of ice cream.
Also read: 10 foods you should never eat if you want weight loss and a healthy life
On the other hand, tea,coffee and alcohol can hamper chances of conception. Tea contains tannin while coffee contains caffeine, both of which deplete essential vitamins and minerals. Similarly, consuming alcohol for men has been linked to reduced libido and sperm count. Similarly, eating a diet of no fruits and more junk food ensures women take longer to get pregnant and have less chances of conceiving within a year. Similarly, obesity can also affect your fertility.
Here’s a list of foods to include in your diet for best results:
* Eating foods that are rich of folate and zinc can help improve fertility for both men and women. Free radicals tend to damage sperm and egg cells which can hamper chances of conception. Include berries, nuts, leafy green vegetables, figs and beans to your diet.
* Weight loss can also improve your chances of having a baby. Experts say that losing only 5% of body weight can improve your chances of getting pregnant.
* Boosting your fibre intake by eating more fruits and vegetables can also impact your fertility. Fibre-rich foods tend to rid your body of excess hormones and keeps blood sugar levels balanced.
* A study by The Endocrine Society shows that such a seafood-rich diet can do wonders for your libido. Couples who eat more seafood tend to have intercourse more often, and get pregnant faster than other couples trying to conceive as well.
* Respect your body clock. Circadian rhythms regulate how much you eat and sleep, and influence your overall well-being. Ensure it is regularised for best chances of conception.
* There may be a lot of pressure to conceive but remember, stress can reduce your chances of getting pregnant. Stress and anxiety can reduce the release of fertility hormones and suppress ovulation.
* Make sure you guard yourself from lead exposure. Researchers at Carnegie Mellon University examined the impact of exposure to lead (in the air and topsoil) on fertility in the United States and found that exposure lowered fertility rate for both women and men.
* Consume more whole milk products instead of low-fat milk alternatives. These are high in polyamine, which plays a major role in boosting sperm health.
* As far as diets go, a low-carb diet can increase chance of conception by five times. High levels of refined carbohydrates can affect the metabolic system of the body and fuel obesity, which can reduce fertility.
* Exercise more often to improve chances of conception. You can opt for a brisk walk, do yoga, or go cycling to reduce hormonal imbalance which can cause irregular menstrual cycles.
* A 2018 study done by Rovira i Virgili University in Spain shows that adding 60gm of almonds, hazelnuts and walnuts in your diet everyday can boost sperm count.